Thursday, December 10, 2015

Purple gele

Hi guys, today I am bringing you the pictures from a traditional Nigerian wedding I attended in the summer. I am from the Western part of Nigeria, and head ties which are known as gele in Yoruba is a fabric that is wrapped around the head. Gele tying is no easy feat as it requires patience and major skills. Due to to cumbersome tying process, I always avoided wearing one and concluded that gele tying was an innate skill that could not be learned.

Fast forward to 2013, I had a wedding to attend and wanted to wear a gele. I put myself to work by watching countless YouTube tutorials, and after weeks of practice, sleepless nights, and multiple headaches, I finally learned how to tie one--whoop! I eventually chose not to wear a gele to that wedding, but my skills came in handy this summer when I rocked this purple gele to a traditional Igbo wedding. 

My gele tying is far from perfect, but I have definitely come a long way and I am proud of me. Have a fab Thursday guys.

My friend went the easy route, and rocked her iro and buba without a head tie

13 comments:

Caramella said...

You look gorgeous! Love the purple gele on you!! <3

Blogoratti said...

A pretty look, stylish and the colours suits you.

En_kay Ede said...

You did a good job.
Took lots of practice for me to learn it too...safe to say am almost a pro now.
You look beautiful too

Stylebyenkay.blogspot.com

Midnight Cowgirl said...

So beautiful!

nedoux.com said...

All hail the DIY Queen! Please don't be modest o, you tied the hell outta that gele. Lol

Wow! You did a great job, see how professional the pleats are. I wish I could do it myself. It's such handy skill. Well done. :-)

Your make-up is lovely too.

Cheryl van den Berg said...

Definitely looks like it takes some skills to put on. Great color on you!

www.ohtobeamuse.com

jackie jade said...

This is so pretty and you look gorgeous! I have no idea how you tied it, but great work!

Adela Acanski said...

Beautiful makeup!
Have a lovely weekend

kisses Adela Acanski

Diana Ashuayem said...

You beautiful in your gele!
www.effortlesslady.com

Dressed2dNines Blog said...

Your skin is glowing doll! Beautiful!

www.dressed2dnines.com

Princie said...

I would love to know how to tie gele. You did a great job.

Titilola Sogunro said...

My gele skills suck, lol. You did a fantastic job and purple looks amazing on you.

Cassie Daves said...

I think you did a good job too and your make up is nice!
I don't think I can last with gele on my head - headachheeee!

www.cassiedaves.com